60 Minutes to better product metrics
How to select meaningful measures of success and measure them over time
Pinpointing clear, actionable metrics for a product is easier said than done. But without them, a product’s performance can’t be evaluated–and your team won’t get credit where credit is due for impacting the business. This one-hour course demonstrates how to define actionable metrics and select appropriate measures of success for different types of products. With real world examples and quick exercises, this course will have you measuring success on your products clearly and concretely in short order.
What you'll learn-and how you can apply it
By the end of this live online course, you’ll understand:
- The importance of having clear actionable metrics for your products
- How to find the best metrics to track for your product (both technical and business)
- How to measure metrics and define next steps based on results
And you’ll be able to:
- Identify pros and cons of different types of metrics
- Apply learnings to define and measure better metrics on your own products
This training course is for you because...
- You’re on a software team building a product and want to ensure the team is on the right path
- You want to be able to speak fluently with business stakeholders about what success looks like on your projects
- You’re a product manager and/or you want to build a successful product
- You are a software developer who is keen to learn how metrics can help tech teams to improve
- Basics of software project delivery
- A basic understanding of business goals for projects you’re working on
About your instructor
Kylie Castellaw is a lead product manager and design researcher at ThoughtWorks, where she coaches Fortune 500 and nonprofit teams to work leanly in portfolio planning, product development, concept ideation, and experience design. She’s always loved science and art and came to the Lean practice as a UX designer/researcher and cognitive psychologist.
Maryam Aidini is a lead product manager at ThoughtWorks, where she spends her time coaching enterprise clients in the portfolio management, product definition, and the software delivery phases of their product lifecycles. She started her career as a software engineer and has worked with many teams over the years to deliver software products using Lean and Agile practices.
The timeframes are only estimates and may vary according to how the class is progressing
- Introduction (5 min)
- Why it’s important to have actionable metrics—with examples (10 min)
- Different types of metrics and pros and when each are appropriate (15)
- How to measure metrics over time(5 min)
- Intro to how to react to metrics (5 min)
- Case study (10 min)
- Q&A (10 min)