60 minutes to hypothesis-driven software development
How to find initial data for your user stories to ensure you are moving in the right direction
If you’ve ever worked on a software delivery team, it’s likely you know the challenge of having to build a large, complex feature without knowing if it’s the right thing to do or if it will deliver the anticipated value. This is especially concerning if your team is investing a lot of time and effort. The good news is that there’s a way to minimize risk and ensure you’re moving forward with the right feature.
Join experts Kylie Castellaw and Maryam Aidini to learn how to apply the practical technique of hypothesis-driven software development. You’ll discover how to find initial data for your user stories and ensure you’re moving in the right direction. Along the way, you’ll walk step-by-step through an actual case study that shows how to create a framework to evaluate the success of a product and set metrics for each task and user story.
What you'll learn-and how you can apply it
By the end of this live, hands-on, online course, you’ll understand:
- The benefits and details of hypothesis-driven software development
- What to consider when using hypothesis-driven software development
- How to format user stories, including how to define and frame your hypotheses
And you’ll be able to:
- Identify the hypothesis in your project or product
- Write user stories
- Identify key metrics to measure the success of each user story or task
This training course is for you because...
- You’re on a software team that has trouble understanding the value of stories.
- You’ve been tasked to develop a feature, and you’re not sure if it’s the right feature.
- You’re a product manager who wants to build a successful product.
- You’re part of a collaborative cross-functional team and want to learn how to measure the success of a user story or task.
- A basic understanding of Agile software delivery
- Identify a project you’re working on that might benefit from hypothesis-driven software development
- Read The 12 Principles of Agile Software Development (book)
- Take 60 Minutes to Better User Stories and Backlog Management (live online training course with Kylie Castellaw and Maryam Aidini)
- Take Agile for Everybody (live online training course with Matt LeMay)
- Read User Stories Applied: For Agile Software Development (book)
- Take Writing User Stories (live online training course with Ryan Harper)
About your instructor
Kylie Castellaw is a lead product manager and design researcher at ThoughtWorks, where she coaches Fortune 500 and nonprofit teams to work leanly in portfolio planning, product development, concept ideation, and experience design. She’s always loved science and art and came to the Lean practice as a UX designer/researcher and cognitive psychologist.
Maryam Aidini is a lead product manager at ThoughtWorks, where she spends her time coaching enterprise clients in the portfolio management, product definition, and the software delivery phases of their product lifecycles. She started her career as a software engineer and has worked with many teams over the years to deliver software products using Lean and Agile practices.
The timeframes are only estimates and may vary according to how the class is progressing
Introduction (5 minutes)
Definition of hypothesis-driven development and its background (10 minutes)
How to frame hypotheses (5 minutes)
Traditional user stories versus hypothesis-driven stories (5 minutes)
Advantages of hypothesis-driven development (5 minutes)
Things to consider for hypothesis-driven development (5 minutes)
Case study (10 minutes)
Wrap-up and Q&A (15 minutes)