Prototypes, closures, promises, async/await, IIFEs, and many other concepts holding you back
What you'll learn-and how you can apply it
- Write elegant JS code with ES6 syntax for use in web apps, node backend, or lambdas.
- Advanced concepts such as promises, async/await, apply/call/bind and frequently used design patterns for writing performant, bug-free, and maintainable code.
This training course is for you because...
- If you would like to follow along in real-time, have your favorite IDE, browser, and terminal running.
- Alternatively, you can take notes during the session and try the examples at a later time (a link to the code and slides will be posted).
About your instructor
Sahil is a Software Engineer with 10+ years of experience in developing user facing apps and websites. He is currently part of the front-end team at OANDA and has previously worked at Expedia where he was part of the group responsible for revamping the mobile web experience. A multipotentialite at heart, Sahil loves to learn and equally loves to share that knowledge with others. He takes pride in breaking down complicated concepts and making them easy to understand with analogies and diagrams.
The timeframes are only estimates and may vary according to how the class is progressing
Segment 1: Overview Length (5 min)
- Instructor will give an overview of the training and the topics covered
Segment 2: Objects, Hoisting and Execution Length (20 min)
- What’s provided in the box
- Execution Context
- Hoisting and Executing
- Execution Stack
- Variable Environments
- Scope Chain
Segment 3: Functions and IIFEs Length (20 min)
- What are functions?
- Difference between objects and functions
- Different ways to create a function
- IIFEs and their execution context
Segment 4: Closure, Apply/Call/Bind Length (20 min)
- How is ‘this’ decided
- How IIFEs come to the rescue
- Using Apply, Call & Bind
Break: 5 min
Segment 5: ES6 Syntax Refresher Length (30 min)
- Template Strings
- Object Literals
- Arrow Functions
- Default Params
- Spread Syntax
- ES6 Array Methods
Segment 6: Classes & Inheritance Length (20 min)
- Difference between a function and an object
- Classes old way vs. new (much easier) way
- Inheritance and why bother
Segment 7: Design Patterns Length (15 min)
- Revealing Module Pattern
Break: 5 min
Segment 8: Async Programming Length (20 min)
- Callbacks - how they work and when they start to get messy
- Promises to the rescue - reject/resolve, chaining, promise.all and error handling
- Async/Await - not just syntactic sugar
- How to pick one between callbacks, promises and async/await