Cyber Security Defense
Best Practices and Strategies for Current and Future Threats
This crash course on real-world cyber security best practices is a must for anyone serious about pursuing a career as a cyber security professional. Cybersecurity is one of the most popular topics, yet many executing defensive measures against cyber threats continues to be a challenge for even the most seasoned security experts. The focus of this training is to learn how attackers exploit weaknesses and what technologies and/or practices are available in today’s market so you can scope, contain and remediate them. The course includes coverage of both paid and open source technologies. Security is a journey, not a destination so don’t expect a single technology or practice to keep you protected. Full of real-world examples and demos with open source and enterprise case studies, Cyber Security Defense Best Practices will give you the knowledge you need.
The author of this training has been in the security industry for many years protecting various types of customers -- from fortune 500 to Federal. He has written numerous books, including Security Operations Center (SOC) and Investigating the Cyber Breach, both from Cisco Press, is a Distinguished Speaker at Cisco Live and other industry events and is well versed in security technologies as well as exploitation dark arts. Expect many real-world examples, demos and definitions of topics that you can relate to as well as evaluate with open source or enterprise technology.
What you'll learn-and how you can apply it
- How various common attacks work
- What security technologies and practices are available in today’s market
- What are best practice network designs and strategies that can adapt to the evolving threat landscape
- Better understand what your next steps should be to improve your education and environment you are responsible to protect.
This training course is for you because...
- You want to understand core concepts around attack and cyber defense.
- You need to or desire to improve your cyber security capabilities.
- There are no official prerequisites for this course. However, we highly recommend you have a basic knowledge of computers and computer security concepts. Commodity technologies such as Firewall and IPS will be quickly defined but how to configure them will not be covered. A basic understanding of how and why these technologies will be fine.
If you do not have a basic understanding of security terminology, please view the following videos the CompTIA Cybersecurity Analyst CSA+ Complete Video Course before attending the training.
Lesson 1: Reconnaissance Techniques: https://www.safaribooksonline.com/library/view/comptia-cybersecurity-analyst/9780134772066/CSAP_01_01_00.html
Lesson 2: Network Reconnaissance: https://www.safaribooksonline.com/library/view/comptia-cybersecurity-analyst/9780134772066/CSAP_01_02_00.html
About your instructor
Joseph Muniz is an Architect at Cisco Systems and Security Researcher. Joseph started his career in software development and later managed networks as a contracted technical resource. He moved into consulting and found a passion for security while meeting with a variety of customers.
Joseph has been involved with the design and implementation of multiple projects ranging from Fortune 500 corporations to large federal networks. He is the author and contributor of several books and as has spoken for popular security conferences such as RSA, Cisco Live, ISC2 and DEF CON. Joseph’s current role gives him visibility into the latest trends in cyber security both from leading vendors and customers.
The timeframes are only estimates and may vary according to how the class is progressing
Understanding why security fails (30 minutes)
- Top reasons for failure
- Architecture failures
- Technology failures
- Top challenges organizations face
Breaking down cyber attacks (30 minutes)
- Who are today’s attackers
- Attack Kill Chain 101
- Different types of attacks
- Attacker tools and technology
- Building an attacker / penetration testing lab
Break: 10 minutes
Security technology and architectures (30 minutes)
- Common security technology
- Architecture recommendations
- Open source verse enterprise
- Cloud, Physical and Virtual concepts
Security practices and risk management (30 minutes)
- Define risk management
- Compliance, Assessments and Penetration testing
- Assessing vulnerabilities
- Security operation centers
Break: 10 Minutes
Labs, Training and Next Steps (30 minutes)
- Developing an attack and defend lab
- Overview of various certifications and training programs
- Planning your next career and use of this knowledge
- Resources for future learning overview
- Q and A