Getting started with Node.js
Learn the basics of the Node.js runtime
What you'll learn-and how you can apply it
By the end of this live online course, you’ll understand:
- The basics of Node.js and npm
- How to use built-in and popular npm packages
And you’ll be able to:
- Write basic code for Node.js
- Run simple Node.js applications
- Use popular Node.js tools
This training course is for you because...
- You're a beginner frontend developer or designer who wants to start working with server-side projects.
- A basic understanding of programming, variables, control structure, and data structures
- A machine with a modern browser (preferably Chrome or Firefox) and Node.js 10.x or higher (check with: node --version) installed—must be able to install npm packages (check with: npm i -g eslint)
About your instructor
Samer Buna has over 20 years of experience in software development, during which he has worked on web and mobile applications development, API design, functional programming, optimization, system administration, database management, and scalability. Samer is the author of several technical books and online courses on topics such as Node.js, React, and GraphQL. You can follow his latest work over at jsComplete.com and EdgeCoders.com.
The timeframes are only estimates and may vary according to how the class is progressing
Up and running with Node.js (55 minutes) - Lecture and hands-on exercises: The Node.js environment; Node.js's REP and command-line tools and options; Node.js globals; popular APIs like timers and buffers - Break (5 minutes)
Getting started with npm (55 minutes)
- Lecture and hands-on exercises: Requiring packages; global packages; the require object; built-in modules; popular npm packages; npm commands; scripts
- Break (5 minutes)
Wrap-up and Q&A (10 minutes)