Google Cloud Platform: Professional Cloud Architect Certification Prep
Preparing for the GCP Professional Cloud Architect Certification
There are several Google Cloud Platform (GCP) certifications, but the most comprehensive and sought-after is the Professional Cloud Architect Certification. A common misconception is that you must have extensive experience with GCP in order to pass the certification exam. In reality—if you have experience with any other major cloud platform, such as Amazon Web Services or Microsoft Azure, and you can draw analogies and parallels across the platforms, you already have the underlying knowledge you need to pass the exam.
Join expert Janani Ravi to develop a strong foundation in all topics covered on the Professional Cloud Architect Certification exam, including GCP offerings for Infra-as-a-Service (IaaS) and Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS). You’ll learn to identify the right GCP technologies for different use cases, and combine them to solve real-world problems. Along the way, you’ll discover links between different GCP building blocks that are key to your success on the exam.
What you'll learn-and how you can apply it
By the end of this live, hands-on, online course, you’ll understand:
- The most important details about each GCP offering for Infra-as-a-Service (IaaS) and Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS)
- How to integrate support for container orchestration using Kubernetes and Anthos
- The benefits and details of all GCP storage services
- How to implement GCP networking, security, and role-based access controls
And you’ll be able to:
- Provision, use, and release Google Compute Engine and App Engine resources
- Migrate data into and out of Cloud Storage, BigQuery, and other storage services
- Construct, scale, and use clusters using Google Kubernetes Engine
- Configure and secure Google VPCs, VPNs, and other cloud interconnect options
- Use Cloud IAM to implement primitive, curated, and custom roles on the GCP
This training course is for you because...
- You’re an experienced cloud user now looking to master GCP.
- You’re eager to quickly secure the Professional Cloud Architect certification.
- A basic understanding of cloud computing
- Some familiarity with the Google Cloud Platform
- Watch videos from the O'Reilly Software Architecture Conference 2019 in New York
- Watch videos from the O'Reilly Software Architecture Conference 2019 - San Jose, California
About your instructor
Ravi is co-founder of Loony Corn, a team dedicated to upskilling IT professionals. She has been involved in more than 75 online courses in Azure and GCP. Ravi spent years at Google (New York, Singapore); Studied at Stanford; and worked at Flipkart and Microsoft.
The timeframes are only estimates and may vary according to how the class is progressing
The Google Cloud Platform: The Big Picture (30 minutes)
- Test format mechanics
- Big-picture understanding for case study problems
- Reasons for adopting GCP
- Cloud-first vs. migration scenarios
- Hybrid approaches and multi-cloud architectures
- Details needed for working effectively with GCP
- Cloud shell
- Web interface
- Client SDKs
- How is cloud adoption affecting large enterprises, startups, and horizontal technology players?
- How does adopting cloud computing affect the business model of an enterprise?
- How does adopting cloud computing affect the financials of an enterprise?
Compute (30 minutes)
- Infra-as-a-Service with GCE VM instances
- Platform-as-a-Service with App Engine
- Event-driven programming with Cloud Functions
- Working with VM instances, lifecycle of VM instances
- App Engine environments
- VM automations using managed instance groups
- When might IaaS be the right approach to adopt?
- When might PaaS be the right approach to adopt?
- How might cloud functions be integrated into a cloud architecture?
- How do IaaS and PaaS compare with Containerized solutions?
- Break (5 minutes)
Storage (30 minutes)
- Taxonomy of GCP storage solutions
- Block storage solutions for use from within VM instances
- Cloud storage buckets and their usage
- Cloud SQL for small-scale RDBMS applications
- Cloud Spanner for truly scalable RDBMS applications
- BigQuery as the big attraction on GCP
- BigTable, Firestore, Datastore and other specialized solutions
- Pricing considerations
- Exercise: Given a set of scenarios, pick the appropriate storage solution
Networking (30 minutes)
- The Default VPC
- Auto and custom-mode networks
- Firewall rules and subnets
- Differences between GCP and AWS networking
- Exercise: Given specific scenarios around isolation and organization, design appropriate networking solutions
- Break (5 minutes)
Identity and Access Management (30 minutes)
- Role-based Access Control on the GCP
- Types of roles
- Working with service accounts
- Identity-aware Proxy (IAP) for role-based access to web apps
- Differentiating between primitive, predefined, and custom roles
- Identifying specialized use cases for IAP and ACLs
Working with Containers (30 minutes)
- Containers vs. Virtual Machines
- Docker as a container technology
- Kubernetes for container cluster orchestration
- Kubernetes, GKE, and Anthos
- Exercise: Designing hybrid architectures using containers and Kubernetes
- Break (5 minutes)
Load Balancing (30 minutes)
- Need for load balancing on cloud platforms
- Taxonomy of load balancers at different layers of OSI stack
- Inner workings of a load balancer
- HTTP and HTTPS load balancers
- TCP load balancers
- Network load balancers
- Internal load balancing
- Exercise: Choosing between different load balancing options
Managed Instance Groups and Infrastructure Automation (30 minutes)
- Managed Instance Groups and load balancers
- Autoscaling and autohealing
- Health checks and autoscaling policies
- Moving beyond autoscaling to infra automation
- Deployment manager templates and infra-as-code
- Exercise: Identifying use-cases for Managed Instance Groups and Deployment Manager