Intermediate Machine Learning with PyTorch
Hands-on analyses of text corpora and images
PyTorch is one of the premier libraries for programming deep neural networks in Python. There is a great deal of subtlety in the design and implementation of effective neural networks. The course walks the student through creating networks for two popular domain areas: text analysis and image classification. We focus both on the general designs of layers and the specific APIs of PyTorch.
What you'll learn-and how you can apply it
- Gain an understanding of general NLP (Natural Language Processing) goals.
- Understand how to apply deep learning techniques to NLP.
- Utilize and customize pre-trained neural network models.
- Customize network layers and examine effects of changes.
This training course is for you because...
You are an aspiring or beginning data scientist.
- You have a comfortable intermediate-level knowledge of Python and a very basic familiarity with statistics and linear algebra. - You are a working programmer or student who is motivated to expand your skills to include machine learning with Python. - You have heard about the enormous promise and power of deep neural networks.
- A first course in Python and/or working experience as a programmer
- College-level basic mathematics
Students should have a system with Jupyter notebooks installed, a recent version of scikit-learn, along with Pandas, NumPy, and matplotlib, and the general scientific Python tool stack. The training materials will be made available as notebooks at a GitHub repository.
These resources are optional, but helpful if you need a refresher on Python, Jupyter Notebooks, or Pandas: - (video) Python Programming Language LiveLessons by David Beazley - (video) Modern Python LiveLessons: Big Ideas and Little Code in Python by Ramond Hettinger - (video) Using Jupyter Notebooks for Data Science Analysis in Python LiveLessons by Jamie Whitacre - (video) Pandas Data Analysis with Python Fundamentals by Daniel Y. Chen
- (Live Online Training) Beginner Machine Learning with scikit-learn by David Mertz - dates vary; search Safari to register
- (Live Online Training) Intermediate Machine Learning with scikit-learn by David Mertz - dates vary; search Safari to register
- (book) Hands-On Machine Learning with Scikit-Learn and TensorFlow: Concepts, Tools, and Techniques to Build Intelligent Systems by Aurélien Géron
- (book) Introduction to Machine Learning with Python by Sarah Guido, Andreas C. Müller
About your instructor
David Mertz is Chief Technology Officer for Bold Metrics Inc. Prior to that, he created and structured the training program for Anaconda, Inc. He was a Director of the Python Software Foundation for six years and remains co-chair of its Trademarks Committee and of the PSF Scientific Python Working Group. David worked for nine years with D. E. Shaw Research. This research group built the world's fastest—highly-specialized—supercomputer for performing molecular dynamics.
David wrote the widely read columns Charming Python and XML Matters for IBM developerWorks, short books for O'Reilly, and the Addison-Wesley book Text Processing in Python. He has spoken at multiple OSCons, PyCons, and AnacondaCon, and was invited to be a keynote speaker at PyCon-India, PyCon-UK, PyCon-ZA [South Africa], PyCon Belarus, PyCon Cuba, and PyData SF. He delivers several recurring webinars, and video courses, for Safari Online.
David is delighted to find Python has the default high-level language for most scientific computing projects.
The timeframes are only estimates and may vary according to how the class is progressing
Lesson 1: Whirlwind overview of Machine Learning and PyTorch (1 hour)
- Understand how deep neural networks are different from other ML
- Understand classification versus regression versus clustering
- Perform dimensionality reduction
- Explain feature engineering
- Types of network layers
- Tensors and NumPy interfaces
- Examining Autograd
- Create a neural network with torch.nn
Lesson 2: Natural Language Processing with AllenNLP (1.5 hours)
- What is AllenNLP?
- What is SpaCy?
- High Level Interfaces to NLP using PyTorch
- Textual Entailment
- Named Entity Recognition
- Semantic Role Labeling
- Machine Comprehension
Lesson 3: Enhancing an Image Classifier (1.5 hour)
- Starting with torchvision.models
- Retraining pretrained models
- Modifying Network Layers
- Understanding Effects of Network Structure