Introduction to Kanban
Evolve your ways of working with Kanban
Have you been through an “agile transformation”, introducing “new ways of working?” You might have learnt the hard way that change is not easy; or that new ways of working might not be what they promise to be. You also might have seen a few “framework implementations” that did not particularly result in much of meaningful change, while introducing a lot of painful changes in its wake.
Kanban could be the answer to your workplace challenges. Kanban takes a different approach to change; it honors past work, present challenges, and people first and foremost. This course will teach you how to get started with the Kanban Method with your workload. You will learn what Kanban is, when it is appropriate to use, and how it can help you and your team enter a state of flow.
What you'll learn-and how you can apply it
By the end of this live, hands-on, online course, you’ll understand:
- What Kanban is and what it is not
- How evolutionary change will get you closer to your goals
- When it’s appropriate and when it’s not to use Kanban
- Kanban works as a standalone method as well as a flow enhancing strategy within the Scrum Framework
- How to get started with Kanban Method
And you’ll be able to:
- Apply Kanban principles and practices to build your Kanban
- Map your ways of working to the best visualization tool – The Kanban Board
- Explain to your co-workers why they would want to try this evolutionary method
- Gain a better understanding of your work now and start creating an improvement roadmap
This training course is for you because...
- Something in the way you work today does not work properly and you are looking for new ways to improve
- Your work burndown chart looks like a cliff, each and every iteration
- Your team is doing Kanban, but don’t get much out of it, so you are wondering what you are doing wrong
- People from that other department say they do Kanban, but they don’t get much out of it, so you are wondering what they are doing wrong
- You are curious what this Japanese word is all about!
- Experience of working as part of a team is desirable, but not required.
Recommended preparation - Watch Origins of Kanban (optional) to learn about the history of Kanban.
- Read "Lean/Kanban: Eliminating Waste and Managing Flow" from Head First Agile.
- Kanban is a board with cards
- We are doing Scrum, we cannot do Kanban
- Kanban is just another management fad
About your instructor
Alex has over 20 years of professional experience that span hands-on software development roles, product and software development leadership positions and consulting engagements in a variety of industries, such as Oil and Gas, Investment Banking, Commodities Trading and Information Technologies.
Presently Alex is serving as a Principal at ProServ Technologies LLC where he helps his customers to build sustainable software development operations using cutting edge technologies and utilizing various Agile methods and techniques. He is a Professional Scrum Trainer (PST) with Scrum.org and an Accredited Kanban Trainer (AKT) with Lean Kanban University where he is teaching public and private classes focused on Scrum framework and Kanban Method.
The timeframes are only estimates and may vary according to how the class is progressing
Intro to Kanban (60 minutes)
- Presentation (Intro to Kanban)
- Mythbusters activity & debrief