Managing Cloud Costs
How to apply FinOps strategies to decrease your cloud spend
We will walk you through FinOps (cloud cost optimization) best practices that will help you reduce your cloud cost by 60 or more percent. Specifically you will learn about building a successful FinOps function within your organization, how to get the most from vendor discounts, and how to use the elasticity of the cloud for cost avoidance.
What you'll learn-and how you can apply it
By the end of this live, hands-on, online course, you’ll understand:
- What a successful FinOps culture within your organization looks like
- What types of vendor discounts exist including enterprise agreements
- What the different types of elasticity in cloud computing are and how they affect costs
And you’ll be able to:
- Initiate a FinOps program within your company and report its progress using KPIs
- Take full advantage of existing discounts and negotiate custom pricing agreements
- Teach others how to use cloud parking and right-sizing to avoid cloud cost
This training course is for you because...
- You’re someone who is concerned about growing cloud cost
- You work with finance or engineers to reduce cloud spend
- You want to become a FinOps practitioner
You should have a basic understanding of cloud computing concepts
If you need a refresher on cloud computing, attend Getting Started with Cloud Computing (live online training course)
Read Learning Amazon Web Services (AWS): A Hands-On Guide to the Fundamentals of AWS Cloud, by Mark Wilkins
About your instructor
Dieter Matzion is a member of the technology finance team at Intuit, supporting the AWS cost-optimization program. Previously, Dieter was part of Netflix’s AWS capacity team, where he helped develop the company’s rhythm and active management of AWS, including cluster management and moving workloads to different instance families; worked on Google Cloud, offering focused on-capacity planning and resource provisioning, and developed demand-planning models and automation tools for capacity management; and held roles ranging from managing databases to network operations to batch operations at PayPal, supporting all systems and processes for the corporate functions at a daily volume of $1.2B. Dieter is a native of Germany. He holds an MS in computer science. When not at work, he prioritizes spending time with family and enjoying the outdoors: hiking, camping, horseback riding, and cave exploration.
The timeframes are only estimates and may vary according to how the class is progressing
Introduction (20 minutes)
- Presentation: What makes cloud computing different?
- Discussion: Tell us about how cloud was different for you?
FinOps as a function (20 minutes)
- Presentation: How to build a successful FinOps function
- Discussion: Tell us about your challenges with establishing a FinOps function
Discounts in the cloud (20 minutes)
- Presentation: What discounts exist and how to use them?
- Discussion: Tell us about "types" of discounts that you have seen in the cloud. Please do not share percentages that are specific to your company.
- 5 min break
Visibility into cloud cost (20 minutes)
- Presentation: How to get visibility into cloud cost
- Discussion: Tell us about the areas where you need visibility into the cloud
Elasticity in the cloud (20 minutes)
- Presentation: What is elasticity and how can I use it to avoid cost?
- Discussion: Tell us about a small thing you did that saved a lot of money
Cloud parking (20 minutes)
- Presentation: How do I do cloud parking?
- Discussion: Where do you think your organization can use cloud parking?
- 5 min break
Cloud right-sizing (20 minutes)
- Presentation: How do I do right-sizing?
- Discussion: Where do you think your organization can use right-sizing?
Developer engagement (20 minutes)
- Presentation: How do I engage with developers on FinOps?
- Discussion: Can you think of other / better ways to engage with developers?