Navigating and Succeeding During Rapid Organizational Change
How engineering teams keep calm and keep shipping amid rapid change
Our world is changing constantly - and so are our organizations. But what happens when that change isn’t anticipated or managed well? Rapid change can cause friction, confusion, and frustration for managers, teams, and individuals alike. Luckily, there are tried-and-true techniques managers and directors can use to deal with the whiplash of rapid and constant change. If your team is feeling anxiety from a change - be it a reorg, leveling process, management change, or something more - you can learn how to lead your team to clear action while decreasing stress. If you want to learn how engineering teams can keep calm and keep shipping through change, this course is for you!
What you'll learn-and how you can apply it
By the end of this live online course, you’ll understand:
- Essential change management tools
- Communication frameworks for rapid communication of changes
And you will be able to:
- Spot signs of change early on so that they can immediately create a low-overhead plan for communicating and managing that change
- Develop and flex the skills of contextual transparency, focusing a team during organizational change, and managing change across remote teams.
- Ease the tension and pain of constant and rapid change
This training course is for you because...
- You are a technical Director with several teams of teams and you need to cascade down changes or implement a new structure or system.
- You are a technical Manager with a team and you need to communicate changes that were given to you, or you need to gather your team together for forward momentum to implement a change.
- Some fluency managing medium-to-large teams of engineers, or otherwise contributing to the strategic direction of technical teams.
- Comfort with active listening, constructive feedback, self reviews, and socratic (open) questioning.
NOTE: There will be a “10 min” worksheet that will be distributed with course registration (URL coming soon), but is not required pre-work. It will be a view-only Google Document that can be copied so participant's can customize it.
About your instructor
Kristen Gallagher is an organizational strategies and learning designer. She is the founder and CEO of Edify, a learning strategy consultancy that solves people operations problems for growing companies. She has architected and delivered onboarding programs for companies bringing on just one person a quarter to 100+ people a quarter. Specializing in onboarding systems, manager development, and knowledge management, Gallagher delivers programs that are designed to evolve and scale with rapid changes. She brings over a decade of learning and development and business partnership experience to Edify.
The timeframes are only estimates and may vary according to how the class is progressing
What is change, really? (55 minutes)
- Lecture: Systems theory and environments; managing personalities and resistance
- Group discussion: What's a change you're experiencing right now?; How do you deal with change in your company?
- Hands-on exercise: Think of a single change you’re experiencing at work right now; create a drawing or diagram of the factors at play, using an ecosystem or systems framework
- Break (5 minutes)
Tools for managing change (55 minutes)
- Lecture: Communication for change management; remote and startup-specific concerns
- Group discussion: Why is there resistance?; What does resistance look like?
- Hands-on exercise: Using an example scenario of change, determine how you might help a resistant person come around to the change
Wrap-up and Q&A (5 minutes)