Python® Full Throttle with Paul Deitel
A One-Day, Fast-Paced, Code-Intensive Python Presentation
Intended for programmers with a background in another high-level language, Python® Full Throttle with Paul Deitel is a code-oriented presentation of Python—one of the world’s most popular and fastest growing languages. In the context of scores of real-world code examples ranging from individual snippets to large scripts, Paul will demonstrate coding with the interactive IPython interpreter and Jupyter Notebooks. You'll quickly become familiar with the Python language, its popular programming idioms, key Python Standard Library modules and several popular open-source libraries. This is an aggressively paced, presentation-only, code-walkthrough course. There is no lab component.
What you'll learn-and how you can apply it
By the end of this live, online course, you’ll understand:
- Working with Python code interactively in IPython and in Jupyter Notebooks
- Executing Python scripts
- Built-in types, strings, input/output
- Control statements, functions
- Functional-style programming: Filter, map, reduce, lambdas, comprehensions, generators
- Collections: Lists, tuples, dictionaries, sets, NumPy arrays
- Text files, JSON serialization, Exceptions, CSV files
- Object-oriented programming: Classes, attributes, methods, properties, inheritance, polymorphism, duck typing, operator overloading, data classes, named tuples.
- Demos of static and dynamic visualizations with Matplotlib and Seaborn
- And more as time permits.
And you'll be able to:
- Leverage your existing object-oriented programming knowledge to quickly dive into Python's robust ecosystem.
- Review a large number of Python code examples, from individual code snippets to complete, implementation case studies.
- Quickly come up-to-speed in Python 3.7.1 and peek at some key updates in the forthcoming Python 3.8.
- See how the Python Standard Library and other open-source libraries enable you to perform significant tasks with minimal code.
This training course is for you because...
- You don't know Python, but currently program in a C-based object-oriented language (e.g., Java, C++, C#, Objective-C, Swift) and want a fast-paced introduction to Python for programmers.
- You took a college-level or professional Python course or programmed in Python a while back and want to quickly refresh your Python knowledge.
- You’re a developer using a limited range of Python features and would like to see what others are available.
- You're a manager considering moving your team to Python.
- Programming in a C-based object-oriented language (e.g., Java, C++, C#, Objective-C, Swift).
- Please feel free to contact Paul Deitel directly at email@example.com to confirm whether this aggressively paced, presentation-only course is appropriate for you.
- No pre-course setup is required.
- If you'd like to run the code in parallel with the presentation, install the Anaconda Python 3.x distribution (available for macOS, Windows and Linux) from https://www.anaconda.com/distribution/#download-section
Additional materials, downloads, supplemental content, or resources needed in advance:
- On the day of the course, students will download the code and PDF slides, which include instructions for setting up the environment and running the code after the course. Paul will answer additional questions after the course at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For a more in-depth video Python presentation:
- See a sneak peek of Paul's Python Fundamentals LiveLessons here on Safari.
About your instructor
Paul J. Deitel, CEO and Chief Technical Officer of Deitel & Associates, Inc., is an MIT graduate with 38 years in computing. Paul is one of the world’s most experienced programming-languages trainers, having taught professional courses to software developers since 1992. He has delivered hundreds of programming courses to industry clients internationally, including Cisco, IBM, Siemens, Sun Microsystems (now Oracle), Dell, Fidelity, NASA at the Kennedy Space Center, the National Severe Storm Laboratory, White Sands Missile Range, Rogue Wave Software, Boeing, Puma, iRobot and many more. He and his co-author, Dr. Harvey M. Deitel, are among the world’s best-selling programming-language textbook/professional book/video authors
The timeframes are only estimates and may vary according to how the class is progressing
- Python Test-Drives in IPython and Jupyter Notebooks
- Introduction to Python Programming
- Control Statements
- Functions and Functional-Style Programming
- Sequences: Lists and Tuples; Static Visualization Demo
- Dictionaries and Sets; Dynamic Visualization Demo
- High-Performance Array-Oriented Programming with NumPy
- Files, CSVs, JSON, Serialization and Exceptions
- Object-Oriented Programming