Spotlight on Cloud: Becoming Cloud Native with Jon Collins
Can traditional enterprises become cloud native?
Startups seem to come out of nowhere, disrupting their markets and leaving traditional organizations to ask themselves how they too can adopt cloud-centric models and approaches. But just how realistic is this? Today’s enterprises are sometimes criticized for legacy thinking, but they also have to bear the burden of infrastructure, supply chains, security, governance frameworks, and customer drivers that can’t be changed at the flick of the switch.
Here's the good news: enterprise concerns and cloud native principles may be better aligned than you think. Flexible infrastructure is becoming a staple of modern data centers. Microservices models align with software architecture best practices, while Agile innovation approaches such as DevOps are maturing in governance. At the same time, cybersecurity and risk management is an area of traditional strength, and operational principles used in the enterprise are as important as ever.
Join Jon Collins for this edition of Spotlight on Cloud to find out how businesses can adopt cloud native principles without throwing away what it means to be an enterprise.
O’Reilly Spotlight explores emerging business and technology topics and ideas through a series of one-hour interactive events. You’ll engage in a live conversation with experts, sharing your questions and ideas while hearing their unique perspectives, insights, fears, and predictions for the future.
In every edition of Spotlight on Cloud, you’ll learn about, discuss, and debate the complex, ever-evolving world of the cloud. Best of all, you’ll discover how successful companies have adopted and embraced this massive network of shared information and how you can follow their lead to transform your organization and prepare for the Next Economy.
What you'll learn-and how you can apply it
By the end of this live show, you’ll better understand:
- Points of alignment between cloud native and enterprise thinking
- Challenges and opportunities of adopting cloud native
- Practical approaches to deliver on the potential of cloud native
This training course is for you because...
- You're a manager or executive in a traditional enterprise and want to understand the business benefits of a cloud native approach.
- You're a technical manager or engineer in a traditional enterprise and need to understand the strategic considerations of transitioning to cloud native.
- Come with your questions for Jon Collins
- Have a pen and paper handy to capture notes, insights, and inspiration
- Read "When to Adopt Cloud Native Infrastructure" (lesson, excerpted from Cloud Native Infrastructure)
- Read Cloud Migration vs. Cloud Native (report)
- Read Cloud-Native Evolution (report)
- Read Migrating to Cloud-Native Application Architectures (report)
About your instructor
Jon Collins is a seasoned analyst and technology commentator with a deep understanding of global infrastructures, architectures, security, and governance, as well as hands-on experience of delivery in a variety of sectors. In his 28 years in the technology industry, he's served as an IT manager and software consultant, project manager, training manager, IT security expert, and industry analyst. Jon is the author of a security architect book for the British Computer Society and coauthor of The Technology Garden, which offers jargon-free advice on sustainable IT delivery. He's also written numerous papers and guides about getting the most out of technology and is an accomplished speaker, facilitator, and presenter. In recognition of his insightful yet down-to-earth approach, Jon was named European analyst of the year by the Institute of Industry Analyst Relations in 2009.
The timeframes are only estimates and may vary according to how the class is progressing
Thursday, May 2, 2019, at 9:00am PT / 12:00pm ET
- Introduction and presentation (15 minutes)
- Interactive discussion and Q&A (45 minutes)