Spotlight on Cloud: Reliable Product Launches with David Huska and Stephen Thorne
How to guide a user-facing feature to a successful landing
Approach your product launches more strategically. David Huska and Stephen Thorne—senior engineers from Google’s customer reliability engineering team—share best practices for successfully and reliably deploying new products, services, and features.
Join us for this edition of Spotlight on Cloud to find out about choosing technology and feature sets for upcoming launches; integrating reliability practices into product development, failure domains, and graceful degradation for publicly visible features; and recovering quickly when services fail unexpectedly.
O’Reilly Spotlight explores emerging business and technology topics and ideas through a series of one-hour interactive events. You’ll engage in a live conversation with experts, sharing your questions and ideas while hearing their unique perspectives, insights, fears, and predictions for the future.
In every edition of Spotlight on Cloud, you’ll learn about, discuss, and debate the complex, ever-evolving world of the cloud. Best of all, you’ll discover how successful companies have adopted and embraced this massive network of shared information and how you can follow their lead to transform your organization and prepare for the Next Economy.
What you'll learn-and how you can apply it
By the end of this live show, you’ll better understand:
- Best practices for successfully and reliably deploying new products
- How to integrate reliability practices into your product development process
This training course is for you because...
- You’re an engineer or other technical contributor who needs to understand critical issues affecting new product launches so you can address them early.
- You want to learn from other businesses that have successfully launched reliable services and products in the cloud.
- Come with your questions for David Huska and Stephen Thorne
- Have a pen and paper handy to capture notes, insights, and inspiration
About your instructor
David Huska is a site reliability engineer at Google in Sunnyvale, California. He’s a coauthor of The Site Reliability Workbook (O’Reilly) and the upcoming Building Secure and Reliable Systems.
Stephen Thorne is a staff site reliability engineer at Google. They’ve worn many hats at Google, including being an SRE for Google Ads and App Engine, working with Google's cloud customers as part of customer reliability engineering, being an editor and technical lead on The Site Reliability Workbook, and serving as an incident commander on Google's incident response team.
The timeframes are only estimates and may vary according to how the class is progressing
Tuesday, November 26, 2019, at 9:00am PT / 12:00pm ET
- Introduction and presentation (15 minutes)
- Interactive discussion and Q&A (45 minutes)