The Power Of Creating Visualizations with Qlik Sense
Learn quickly and simply how to use one of the most powerful Business Intelligence tools on the market
This course covers the fundamental principles of Qlik Sense design layer for users who wish to create effective visualizations, and understand and explore data. We will start with an overview of Qlik Sense installations, and then move into an already made application to understand selections, the surface of the associative model used by Qlik Sense, and a critical aspect very often underestimated.
Next, we will learn how to optimize various graphs, designed for specific types of data. We will combine what we’ve learned to create dashboards and sheets. We will then make friends with the trickiest technique used in Qlik Sense at design layer level: Set Analysis and its syntax. Finally, we will work with bookmarks to complete our journey with the unique feature of Storytelling creations.
What you'll learn-and how you can apply it
- Understand Selections, learn how to explore data more effectively
- When to use Dimensions, Measures and why
- The Benefits of working with Master Items
- How to create and configure Bar Charts, Line Charts, Combos, TreeMaps, Maps, KPI, Gauge, Scatter Plot, Histograms, Pie Charts, Straight and Pivot Tables
- Create optimized dashboards and sheets with Set Analysis and Alternate States
- Create Presentations with Storytelling
- Publish your own Qlik Sense application on Qlik Cloud or use it on your Qlik Sense Desktop
This training course is for you because...
The course is aimed for Business Users and Analysts who want to gain proficiency and confidence for presenting data in an effective manner and gaining powerful insights. You may start from scratch or have a minimal knowledge.
The main preparation for you is to gain access to Qlik Cloud by creating an account and install Qlik Sense Desktop on the PC (64 bits) you will be using during the training.
Materials, downloads, or Supplemental Content needed in advance
About your instructor
Certified as a Qlik Sense Business Analyst, Data Architect and System Architect, I am an education Consultant with a professional career of over 20 years in highly recognized multinational companies. Deep knowledge of Qlik Technology applied to Business Intelligence. Highly experienced in training multicultural, objective-oriented work teams. I hold a degree in electronic engineering and a master in strategic communication.
I spend my spare time delivering Mindfulness courses (I am a qualified and passionate Mindfulness Teacher) and entertaining kids with the magic art of clowning at the local Hospital.
The timeframes are only estimates and may vary according to how the class is progressing
Section 1: Load Qlik Sense Desktop and Open up HUB (40 mins + Lab 10 mins)
- What are the differences between Qlik Sense Desktop, Cloud and Enterprise Edition?
- Lab 1: Explore the HUB, publish an application into Qlik Cloud and share the same with another user.
Break: 10 mins
Section 2: Movie Database, selections and navigation in a Qlik Sense App (40 mins + Lab 10 mins)
- Appreciate the power of the associative model in action and learn critical points related to data filtering in Qlik Sense.
- Lab 2: Open up the Movie Database App and select data in filter panes and graphs, segmenting data for easy interpretation. Answer the Quiz to validate your knowledge.
Break: 10 mins
Section 3: Our first dashboard (35 mins + Lab 15 mins)
- Understand Qlik Sense App Interface, sheets creation, KPIs, Gauge.
- list text hereExplore the interface and get used to it
- Lab 3: Starting from a blank application with no sheets but with data already loaded which represents the business activity of a multinational cloth company, we will create new sheets and our first dashboard, comprising of simple KPIs, Gauges and some filter panes.
Break: 10 mins
Section 4: Creation of graphs with dimensions and measures (35 mins + Lab 10 mins)
- We work on more complex graphs where dimensions and measures are involved, and we will also create master items (including a hierarchical one) to speed up and ease future graph creation.
- Lab 4: Creation of a new sheet to explore products related values by using bar, line charts and combos.
Wrap up Q&A 15 mins
Section 5: More graphs and when to use them! Map, Treemap, Pie charts (40 mins + Lab 10 mins)
- Learn the different types of Maps available by default in Qlik Sense, create a TreeMap, understand when to use one graph rather than another one
- Lab 5: We create point to point and polygonal maps, also a multidimensional Treemap and complete the sheet with a pie chart; in this lab we will also explore charting best practices.
Break: 10 mins
Section 6: Time to work on Tables, Straight Table versus Pivot Table (20 mins + Lab 10 mins)
- Create simple o pivot tables according to different needs, example of use of hierarchical dimension.
- Lab 6: Building Tables to explore data in a reporting fashion.
Break: 5 mins
Section 7: Inhibit the associative model by using Set Analysis (40 mins + Lab 10 mins)
- Lecture: Understand when we need to “break”the associative model and know how to do it. At this point, we should be mastering how to create charts and modify their properties. Therefore, we now want to deep into a more advanced approach which allows to extend Qlik Sense Visualizations further by using Set Analysis (SA) Syntax.
- Lab 7: Starting from the straight table we have created in section 6 we will work on the same table by creating more columns reflecting requirements which could not be implemented if SA was not used.
Break: 10 mins
Section 8: Bookmarks and Storytellings (40 mins + Lab 15 mins)
- Lecture: Explore how to create powerful presentations by using the Storytelling feature, also take advantage of the bookmarks to implement data-segmented visualizations.
- Lab 8: We will create a Qlik Sense Built-in presentation which includes snapshots and real time data introducing participants to this unique feature of this amazing software.
Wrap-up: Summary, Discussions (30 min)
- Interactive Discussion on the basic and ground-breaking aspects of the course